Email marketing survey: Are companies more sophisticated today?
Published March 12, 2010 by Gillian Hunter
According to a survey published today by Econsultancy/Adestra, companies are becoming a lot smarter in the way they use email marketing campaigns. In summary, their survey has discovered:
1. There has been a significant increase in the number of companies who are sending personalised emails. Survey stats: 52% of respondents say they use email personalization - up from 38% a year ago.
Personalising your emails helps to achieve better open rates. Segmentation helps companies to create targeted, relevant messages. When you combine personalisation with relevant messaging - your email marketing will be far more successful: achieve greater open and click through rates, improve call to action responses, and facilitate greater prospect and customer engagement.
2. More companies are using added value services provided by email service providers, including measurement and analytics, design and copywriting services. Survey stats: 65% of companies are using measurement services - up from 50% in 2009.
Measurement is an incredibly powerful tool. It helps you to hone every aspect of your email marketing to achieve better results, including your subject line, body copy and content, email design, database, call to action, landing pages, and messaging. It gives you focus and clarity about what works and what doesn't.
3. Integrating email marketing with other sale and marketing activities still has a long way to go. Disappointingly, only 17% of companies said their email campaigns were integrated. Most said this lack of integration was due to disconnected systems and technology, lack of skills and training and lack of budget.
Integrated email campaigns make business sense. It provides a more consistent experience for your customers. It helps to drive and reinforce other campaigns and activities, and increase call to action response rates.
4. Fewer companies know what their email ROI is. Only 39% of companies measure the ROI on their email marketing. However, those that do measure their email ROI - the results are impressive: 63% say their email marketing delivers a ROI of 300% or more. A few are reporting an ROI of over 500%.
Email obviously works for those that know what they are doing. It is about getting all your ducks in a row: making sure you understand who your customers and propspects are, building a very good segmented database, personalising your emails and sending relevant emails. And you need great content - that's focussed, relevant and credible. Want to know more about the survey results? The Email Marketing Census 2010 report is available from Econsultancy. For a fee.
Want to know how to run a successful email marketing campaign? AARDMAAN create, run and manage integrated email campaigns. We can help you plan and execute successful email campaigns - looking at every element from your email strategy to your content strategy. We can help with segmentation, targeted messaging, content creation, send management ... just ask.
- All Blog Categories (95)
- Bids and Proposals (2)
- Content Creation (21)
- Creative Ideas (9)
- Customer Communications (32)
- Customer Engagement (31)
- CXO Communications (1)
- Digital Marketing (17)
- Innovation (7)
- Insights (34)
- Marketing Strategy (24)
- Strategic Planning (16)
- Thoughts (4)
- The Founding of Grayce
- How to write powerful value propositions
- Why your marketing strategy isn't working
- Marketers, why you need to rethink the 4Ps
- How to work out your customer value
- Why people are inspired by stories
- Why should people buy from you
- Merger rebrand : the story of Integrc
- How to launch a new business in three months